Friday, March 07, 2008

A Bit of Good News

At some point in every book there is the tendency to whine "Am I done yet?" I hit that on Tuesday. Editing is sorta fun in the same way that cleaning the cat's litter box is entertaining. It's not great while you're doing it, but the end result is satisfyingly tidy.

Whilst I was in the middle of my doldrums (now is when new projects have a particularly strong pull) I received some good news. VIRTUAL EVIL is a finalist for a ForeWord Magazine Award for Science Fiction. I was a finalist for this award last year as well as Book of the Year. I won Book of the Year and, very rightly, you cannot win both. The chances of winning Book of the Year two years in a row is astronomical, so that's not something I have to worry about. I'm quite pleased I'm a finalist in SF, however. Another Dragon Moon book The Complete Guide to Writing Science Fiction - Vol. 1 - First Contact is also a finalist (in the Career category).

So that pulled me out of my funk and spurred me on to finish the third book. A nice incentive. If they liked VIRTUAL EVIL, wait 'til they read MADMAN'S DANCE.

No comments: