Thursday, June 28, 2007

Is It Over Yet?

It's reached the point of absurdity. I'm actually past being angry at the mess in Washington. Now I'm numb. I just keeping shaking my head at the stupidity. I suspect that's exactly what they were hoping.

The Vice President really isn't in the Executive Office so he doesn't have to comply with the rules re: secret documents. See, he gets his paycheck from the Senate. Word is that the reason they don't want the folks responsible for checking up on the secrets docs snooping around is that Vice's office (and even the Oval Office) have a dismal track record for keeping docs under wraps, like the guy who left a secret doc IN A HOTEL ROOM. But at the same time, Cheney is having "talking points" marked to be treated as if they are Secret. Huh?

The more the Dept of Justice probe continues, the further we see inside the rotting corpse. Hirings based on faith and political leanings? According to Justice Dept. Official Bradley Schlozman you only want those "True Americans" at the DOJ. Those True Americans do not include African-Americans, Jews or Asians. Think I'm making that up? Lord, I wish I was. Monica Goodling, a lawyer with only six months' prosecutorial experience, is given the reins to vet new attorneys for the DOJ. She checked candidates voting records (!) and their party affliation. Firing excellent Attorneys General because they didn't play ball? Ditto. Just how much has this political pogram cost us in terms of prosecutorial talent and ongoing investigations?

If I had my way, there would be a lot of heads rolling right now. If we don't draw the line NOW, future administrations will see the Constitution as irrelevant. Don't think a wily Democrat wouldn't pull the same shenanigans. Our democratic system is being riddled with a pervasive and self-serving cancer. All I can hope is that when this is all over, there's enough left to rebuild and that the cancer can be eliminated. If not, our nation is sliding into an abyss from which there is no return.

No comments: