Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Another Link in the Chain

So on Monday evening a heavy package plunked on my doorstep -- the copy edits from my U.S. publisher (St. Martin's Press). I always cringe when I open packages like this as I expect to find the page solidly red with corrections. I'm pleased to say that's not the case. The CE has caught my inconsistencies, taught me that Duffle is actually spelled Duffel (who knew?) and that clearly I have a nasty addiction to ellipses and em dashes.

I'm not alone in this journey. As noted by the photo, a Lego version of Darth Vader is helping me. Once I'm finished with reviewing the manuscript it goes back for another review and then onto typesetting. Then I'll get to see a galley which will be exactly how the final book will look. Soon a book cover will appear in my IN box. When I'm given the greenlight to share it I shall!

The same process plays out for the U.K. version. Somehow I doubt the Germans will be having me check over their copy edit.

3 comments:

steve on the slow train said...

And just what's wrong with ellipses and em-dashes--they're so handy and can cover up a multitude of problems. And if Kurt Vonnegut says, "never use a semicolon," there's always the em-dash. Pretty soon the editors will want to get rid of commas, periods, apostrophes...

Sandy said...

I've seen the UK cover up on Goodreads, its gorgeous I love it and I hope hope hope that the US cover is the same or just as gorgeous ^_^. Can't wait for this book!

In fact I love it so much I'm featuring this cover on my blog tomorrow.

Jana Oliver said...

Wow! Thanks, Sandy. The US cover is equally cool with an Urban Fantasy feel to it. I'm hoping I'll get to reveal it pretty soon. The US book is entitled THE DEMON TRAPPER'S DAUGHTER (different than the UK title). This is a clever way to confuse the author who actually has to remember which is which (grin).